DANA COFFIELD, Founding Editor of The Colorado Sun, reminds us of people involved with journalism, and society's need to recognize that Local News is a Public Good. Part of the Media and Democracy forum at CU Boulder, April 23rd., 2019.
The Colorado Sun is a digital, non-profit news organization that provides independent and in-depth journalism for the state of Colorado, USA. It was founded in 2018 by a group of veteran journalists who were committed to filling the void left by declining traditional media outlets and ensuring that quality journalism continues to thrive in the state.
Key features and characteristics of The Colorado Sun:
- Digital-First Platform: The Colorado Sun operates primarily as a digital news outlet, publishing its content online. This allows it to reach a wide audience across the state and beyond, as well as adapt to the changing landscape of media consumption.
- Non-Profit Model: The Sun operates as a non-profit organization, relying on a combination of reader donations, memberships, and grants to fund its journalism. This model is designed to prioritize the quality and independence of its reporting over commercial interests.
- Independent Journalism: The Colorado Sun prides itself on its independent and unbiased reporting. It is not influenced by corporate interests or partisan affiliations, allowing its journalists to pursue stories that matter to the people of Colorado without external pressures.
- In-Depth Reporting: The Sun focuses on producing in-depth and investigative journalism, delving into complex issues and providing comprehensive coverage of critical topics impacting the state and its communities.
- Collaboration with Local Outlets: The Colorado Sun collaborates with other local news organizations in Colorado, sharing content and resources to maximize the impact of their reporting and ensure broader coverage of important issues.
- Community Engagement: The Sun fosters engagement with its readers by encouraging feedback, hosting events, and providing opportunities for community members to participate in the journalism process.
- Wide Range of Topics: The Colorado Sun covers a broad range of topics, including politics, public policy, environment, education, business, culture, and more, with a focus on stories that have significant relevance to the state and its residents.
The Colorado Sun has quickly become an important source of news and information for Colorado residents, offering a fresh and independent perspective on the issues that shape their lives. By adhering to high journalistic standards and embracing innovative digital practices, The Colorado Sun continues to make a notable impact on the media landscape in the state.